|Cover ©2015 Untreed Reads Publishing|
Cover design by Ginny Glass
On October 8, Untreed Reads published the Society's first member anthology, Flash and Bang, in paperback and ebook.
SMFS member and Untreed Reads editor-in-chief Jay Hartman called for unpublished mystery, suspense, or thriller stories containing either a "flash" or a "bang".
Limiting submissions to one flash (300–1,000 words) and one short (1,500–3,000 words) per member, Jay received more than 300.
His selection of 19 stories ranges from historical to contemporary, cozy to hardboiled, amateur and animal sleuth to police and private detective:
- "The Conflagration at the Nameless Cotton Gin" by Bobbi A. Chukran
- "The Perfect Crime" by Herschel Cozine
- "Don't Let the Cop into the House" by O'Neil De Noux
- "Fireworks" by P.A. De Voe
- "Rosie's Choice" by John M. Floyd
- "The Wrong Girl" by Barb Goffman
- "Murder on Elm Street" by Su Kopil
- "Silent Measures" by B.V. Lawson
- "Don't Be Cruel" by JoAnne Lucas
- "A Simple Job" by Andrew MacRae
- "Arthur" by Sandra Murphy
- "Thor's Breath" by Suzanne Berube Rorhus
- "Beautiful Killer" by Judy Penz Sheluk
- "A Day Like No Other" by Walter A.P. Soethoudt (translated by Willem Verhulst)
- "The Raymond Chandler Con" by Earl Staggs
- "The Bag Lady" by Laurie Stevens
- "Fractured Memories" by Julie Tollefson
- "The Fruit of Thy Loins" by Albert Tucher
- "Sierra Noir" by Tim Wohlforth
Through October 31, Flash and Bang is part of Untreed Reads 30% Off sale on mystery and horror titles.