Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Words are Cheap - Ken Bruen

I like Bruen as a novelist, but when I started reading this story, I thought this was going to be one of those rare rough patches for him - a story I didn't like. It didn't take him much more than a page to win me over, however. It is hard to say too much about the story without giving away much, it is quite brief and spare. I'll try.

It concerns a man who wants to get an education in order to impress a girl. Being more street thug than intellect, he goes about getting this education in an odd manner and harm comes to people in tweed. And to the thug. And to the girl.

In any event, what made the story enjoyable for me was recognizing it as a very dark brand of black humor. This, from a master of black humor.

The story is another that the people at Murdaland can be proud of.

No comments: